Sunday, September 13, 2009

Landon's Birth Story

August 16, 2009....we were scheduled for my "External Version" procedure at 1:30pm, where the Dr. tries to manually move a breech baby into the typical head-down position for birth. Landon had been in the breech position for several weeks, so at 37-weeks we decided to attempt this procedure since I was really wanting a vaginal delivery. This procedure is done on the Labor & Delivery floor in case complications occur, and you have your very own nurse watching you and the baby very closely. My mom and dad came to see me before the procedure and ended up staying in the room during the procedure, along with around 7 or 8 other people. I had residents and nurses asking me if they could watch because they had never seen the procedure done before, as it's fairly rare and not all Dr's will even do it. Fortunately my Dr. was successful with the version and it only took her about 5 minutes. I guess it was pretty freaky to watch her maually turn baby, as Jeff said you could see her take his butt in one hand and his head in the other and flip him around. Luckily I had an epidural so I wasn't in any pain. After the procedure baby and I were still being monitored very closely for a few hours as my epidural wore off (it took about 3.5 - 4 hours). Due to a few complications including Landon's heart rate dropping from 190 to 40 (this was super scary!), the possibility that my uterus had detached, no activity from Landon since he had been turned, and I started having contractions, the doctors decided it would be best to perform an emergency c-section. It was an extremely scary and emotional time for Jeff and I. Literally the nurses and Dr. started rushing in the room saying "we need to get this baby out now!"....talk about scary and unexpected...I tried to stay calm but couldn't hold back the tears after they rushed me out of the room without my husband, as they thought I was gonna have to be put under...hearing this I was scared and sad, knowing Jeff wouldn't be able to be in the delivery room with me and I wouldn't be able to see my baby right away. I began to pray, pray, pray, as the tears were rolling down my face...I felt alone in the delivery room since Jeff wasn't able to be in there with me yet. The scariest and saddest moment I've ever felt in my entire life was when I heard one Dr. whisper to the other Dr. that he couldn't find a heartbeat...for approx. 10 very long seconds I thought Landon was dead. I remember closing my eyes during this moment and praying, and God was telling me that everything was going to be okay...this was the only thing keeping me calm...let me just tell you that God is soooo good...fortunately the Dr. looked over at me and said "your baby is going to be okay". And then he said my Dr. was on her way, only about 5 minutes away and that we were able to wait for her and I wouldn't have to be put under. I was just dying to have Jeff in there with me, and luckily they told him to hurry and put his scrubs on and get in there. He ended up coming in after they had already started the surgery. Literally about 5-10 minutes later my handsome baby boy entered the world, at 5:56pm! But Landon had to be taken to the NICU right away as his lungs were not fully developed (he was 3 weeks early) and he was having a hard time breathing. They immediately had to put a c-pap on him for a few hours until he was able to breathe on his own. Thankfully they wheeled the incubator over by me so I could quickly see my baby boy. Although it wasn't the ideal situation and a little sad that I didn't get to hold him right away, I felt at ease knowing he was in the best care possible (OSF is awesome!) and that I would soon get to see him. I can't explain my calmness but just know that God was really watching over and taking good care of us. I couldn't stop smiling, I just felt so happy and so blessed! Jeff followed Landon down to the NICU and I went to recovery for an hour. All of our family was there so they took turns keeping me company. After about 2 hours the nurse wheeled me down to the NICU in my bed so I could meet my baby for the first time. He was all hooked up to IV's and had a feeding tube in, but they placed him on my chest and I got to hold him for a few minutes...this was one of the best moments in my life! Jeff and I couldn't stop kissing and staring at him...he was the most beautiful little boy I had ever seen!! He looks just like his Daddy, which is definitely the greatest compliment. I seriously couldn't be a happier Mommy! :)

Landon Jay Grant
Born at 5:56pm on August 16th, 2009
Weighing 5 lbs. 4 oz. and 18.5 inches long
He is just PERFECT!!!!!!!

Landon....you are a dream come true!

1 comment:

  1. Oh you poor thing! I'm so glad everything worked out, but I am so sorry you had to go through it like that. I really can't wait to meet him. Reading about all the fun things you and Andrea are able to do makes me really envy your summer babies. I was trapped in the house for ages. Enjoy your little guy.

    ReplyDelete